From my Perspective

“I laugh at the way some people think graffiti is selfish tagging and vandalism. Thoughtful street art is like good fiction – it speaks out on behalf of everyone, for us all to see.” – Carla H. Krueger

Some cities are known for its iconic buildings, some are admired for their cathedrals. Some cities brag about their sculptures, but what is Melbourne known for? Melbourne has gained international acclaim for its Streetart, that it is now said to be the “art and culture capital” or the “streetart capital”. But is that something to be proud of? There are mixed emotions about this because there is really just a fine line between art and graffiti. But for people following my blog, you will already know my perspective on this topic.

I love a good piece of artwork, the artsy kind but not the graffiti kind with no meaning at all ( that is just my opinion) How about you?

Here are the street art doors and laneways of Melbourne for Norm’s Thursday Doors Challenge – and for BeckyB’s July Squares- Square Perspective

I don’t know when my love for street art started, but everywhere I go, I love searching for them. Here are some inner city graffiti taken from a perspective.

#SquarePerspectives #5

Here are some door street art from Melbourne CBD when walking around was still the normal weekend activity for me.

1. Lookoom says:

Street-tart or graffiti, I think the difference is whether you would like to have the mural on your own house.

That’s a good way to put it haha

2. arlene says:

I don’t like graffiti, they make the walls so untidy. If someone writes something, another follows. Yung corner namin sinulatan eh kailangan ko painturahan ulit para mabura. Asar!

Haha ang puso mo!

1. arlene says:

Hahaha, dito they are not concerned about art, basta masulatan yung malinis na wall.

Walang lang magawa. haha

thoughtful street art are wonderful, mostly with sensible messages or even simply to beautify a wall/alley or building. i can see your love for street art; your collection is impressive! i didn’t know about Melbourne being street art capital. that is awesome!

One of the reasons why I love living here. If you have Mallard Lake that gives you happiness, I used to have the laneways of Melbourne before the pandemic. Thanks for commenting Wi.

4. BeckyB says:

oh these are fabulous. I am with you on street art, scribbles and mindless messages I can do without but when it is has a message or is incredible artwork it adds so much to a location.

Another great place to see street art is Porto, some incredible pieces there. Likewise in Lisboa, in fact much of Portugal. Has become an art form. There are still the occasional scribbles and sometimes they create it on buildings/trams which would be better without, but generally they get it right and I love it!

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful perspectives

Thanks BeckyB. I know, that is the one reason why I would love to go to Portugal in the next few years coming. Another is Bristol in the UK. Oh well…hopefully soon!

1. BeckyB says:

Fingers crossed for you

5. scooj says:

Fabulous doors and post.

Street art and graffiti art are on a continuum, starting with tags and ending with high fine art and everything in between. Where one draws the line is for the individual. Banksy was a tagger once.

Definitely depends on the individual. And love, love Banksy. Thanks for the comment, Stephen.

6. I think it makes for interesting facades on old buildings.. 😉

In some way it does.

7. Lisa Coleman says:

I can appreciate the art as long as they are allowed to do it. I think it’s a fantastic way to express oneself. There is so much talent out there! These photos are very impressive! Nice post! 🙂

Thanks so much Lisa.. I know what you mean, some just mess up the clean paintings of bus stops and train stations. The council cleans it up but the next day it is back..

1. Lisa Coleman says:

Yeah that’s where the problem lies and gives the true artists a bad rap. Unfortunate! 😊

8. Norm 2.0 says:

Fabulous shots! Checking out the street art would be at the top of my list of things to do if I ever make it to Melbourne one day.

You should do that, Norm. One day.

9. Wow, amazing shots of the incredible artwork on Melbourne streets.

Thanks Brenda!

10. 👍 Cool survey 🙂 greetings from Berlin 💢 Ulli

1. TCast says:

Thanks for stopping by. Greatly appreciated.

11. lizannelloyd says:

Loving this graffiti. I look out for it in Portugal https://somerville66.blogspot.com/search?q=graffitti

I search for it too everywhere I go. Thanks for the comment Liz.