Gum Trees

“I am alive among the tall trees.” – unknown

Gum trees or Eucalyptus trees are native to Australia. They dominate the Australian landscape and can be seen in forests, wetlands, bush lands, and shrub lands.

Thursday Tree Love

It is beautiful to look at especially with the sky as background. But my concern is, the Eucalyptus tree has a shallow root system that makes it dangerous. There have been many cases, especially when there’s strong wind, that the branches of the Gum tree just falls off and the tree is just fully uprooted (as seen below).

1. Mali says:

Gum trees always look wrong in the NZ landscape, but they are everywhere. I never really understood their beauty till a year or two ago when I drove around the Barossa and Adelaide Hills. I love the light through your tree. And how sad it must be to see them felled by a strong wind.

Yes, so many times these accidents have happened and it’s scary. This tree that I showed here was in the place where I go for my morning walks.

2. I love the Eucalyptus trees though they are ”exotic” species here in India. We have many such trees in my city! The bark is amazing and the leaves do give off the typical odour. Lovely images and sad to see them uprooted by storms.

Yes, so now, when my husband and I walk and we see a Eucalyptus tree…you know what we are doing! Haha 🏃‍♀️ 🏃‍♂️

3. Priya says:

Love the Eucalyptus tree. I recall playing with the tiny fruits and, the whiff of fragrance when I pass by ..

Even the blooms are very lovely to look at. Thanks for stopping by, Priya.

4. Parul Thakur says:

I love the Eucalyptus. In India, they grow very tall and don’t branch out a lot. Love the white bark and the fragrance around it. I loved your pictures. Thanks for joining, Teresa and see you back on the 24th!

5. I may have seen these trees years ago when I visited our state of California. They would not be hardy where I live in the Northeast U.S. but any tree like one that topples easily would be extremely hazardous for us in populated areas. Too bad….

That is true, especially when it is windy!

6. Shalzmojo says:

That shot with the light pouring through the tree is just so so beautiful. We used to have Euclayptus trees in our backyard up until a decade back. In fact it was planted quite stringently in the area for a forestation drive. I used to love to collect the cones and spirals that come down from this tree. The leaves smell just amazing!

Seeing the photo brought back lovely memories for you. That is what I love about blogging.

7. Pr@Gun says:

The place I live in is having eucalyptus trees in abundance. Even the area is named after them, but here they grow long and don’t branch out. Yes, even I have seen they fell often due to shallow root systems and causes sliding.
    thanks for sharing pics

Thanks so much for your comment.