Welcome to Bunjil Place in Casey

Bunjil Place is the heart of the arts and entertainment in Casey in Melbourne’s south east. It is just near my doorstep but I tend to overlook it sometimes. But last week I was glad I gave it a visit.

For Debbie’s Six Word Saturday

Outside were these bright and cheerful seats. For Xingfumama’s Pull Up a Seat Challenge

And I decided to go to the Gallery where I saw these chunky leather seats outside.

The featured exhibit is “One foot on the ground, one foot in the water”. It is about life and death and as it is written at the entry:

”At a time when many are experiencing complex feelings about the frailty of life and future uncertainty, this exhibition explores the subject of mortality and the inseparable link between life and death.”

Featured artists are: Catherine Bell, Timothy Cook, French & Mottershead, Mabel Juli, Richard Lewer, Sara Morawetz, Michael Needham, Nell, Patrick Freddy Puruntatameri, Nawurapu Wunuŋmurra.
Each artist offers insight into the way we let go of the dead, or hold them close, as a continuing living presence in the world.  (bunjilplace.com.au)

These are from a series of workshops by Catherine Bell wherein each participant makes his or her own sculpture of a small urn imagining their final resting place.

Some of these are based on the artist’s personal experiences of losing a child or of loved ones.

These are thought provoking art pieces that make you think of your own mortality.

For Marsha’s Photographing Public Art Challenge

And as I exited, the person at the desk told me that there was another small art exhibit in the library. So, there I went…on top of “seatable” steps is another gallery.

1. Marsha says:

Teresa, what a wonderful museum. I like the bright welcoming TURQUOISE chairs outside. The feathered masks are interesting. Great post for PPAC this week. 🙂

Thanks Marsha, glad you liked it! ❤️

2. XingfuMama says:

Interesting museum. It does have very nice seating, with very sculptural qualities. The seats suit the museum very well.

3. picpholio says:

An interesing ans unique collection of art work. Thanks for sharing 🙂

4. Toonsarah says:

This looks like a gallery well worth a visit. The theme may be challenging but many of the pieces displayed are lovely, especially those masks that seem to have been influenced by African culture?

These are works of art of Australia’s First Nation’s people or the Indigenous people and they have a very unique quality that is very recognisable.

1. Toonsarah says:

Oh of course. I would love to be able to take a closer look one day, they look fascinating!

5. Cathy says:

A little bit of drive from where we are in Kilsyth but I should keep it in mind for a day out sometime.
    The outdoor seating looks bright and inviting and the curved benches in the foyer look smooth and elegant. Thanks for sharing
    Take care
    Cathy
    #pullupaseat

Oh yes it’s a fair bit of a drive. Thanks for the visit to my blog, Cathy.