3 Memorable Shots

“Photography is the art of making memories tangible.” – Destin Sparks

For this week, Sarah is asking us to post 3 of our favourite photos. But if you know me… that is impossible because I take millions of photos and all of them are very special to me. So let me just post 3 photos that I am sure will never happen again.

The following are photos taken in Ilocos during my road trip to the north of the Philippines in 2016, with Jack, my sister Pilar, my niece Pam and my nephew Ram.

This first one is a photo that I took before the storm in 2016. It was a bit sunny when we arrived at the resort but suddenly when we were at the hotel room I could hear the wind howling. I went out and I saw that the sky was getting darker and darker… so I didn’t want to miss the chance of taking a photo of the super typhoon while I was right smack in the middle of it. Don’t get me wrong… it was scary but still was a great photo opportunity. Here it is done with a bit of editing.

This next one is a fun shot taken by the driver of our jeep that took us for a ride in the Sand Dunes of La Paz in Ilocos. He kept on telling us to jump for the “money shot”. But do you know the effort it takes to jump high? Haha We all look silly and funny … but such fun memories!

Just a simple photo but it is very memorable because it may never look the same anymore. Did you hear about the earthquake that happened in the Philippines just recently? Well this is one of the Heritage Site structure that was damaged. A 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck the mountainous province of Abra at 8.43 a.m. local time on 27 July, triggering landslides and the collapse of structures.

Photo below courtesy of Manila Bulletin.

1. Sofia Alves says:

I love why you picked these photos and your first one is remarkable.

Thanks so much Sofia.

2. vermavkv says:

Nice Photography. I enjoyed it.

It was a very difficult challenge Teresa I have to say. Great capture of the typhoon. I’ve seen groups of people jumping and they take so many goes to get it right, hilarious

What more if you are old haha… what an effort!

4. bushboy says:

A great three Teresa. A pity about a historical building, always makes me sad

Sorry for the late response. Thanks for your comment, Brian!

5. nesfelicio says:

Great photos! Quite brave to capture that storm but well worth the effort. It’s sad that so many historical structures got damaged by the recent earthquake; good of you to have that great shot.

Thanks Yes…it’s great to look back at these memorable shots!

6. maristravels says:

Great photos and I like your reasons for the selection. I especially liked the typhoon one but like Brian, I’m saddened by the collapse of the historical building.

I am just happy to have captured the typhoon shot and the historical building….as these really are just once in a lifetime moments!

7. Toonsarah says:

This is a great way to pinpoint favourites, looking for moments that may never come again. The storm photo really captures the sense of the wind, but how sad to hear that the beautiful heritage building has been lost 😦

Thanks so much Sarah…I guess I am grateful too that I captured these shots as I am able to share it with you guys!

8. JohnRH says:

Great selections. Love the leaping! Sad about the structure damage. Nice photo of it before that.

Thanks John! Greatly appreciate your comment! 👍

9. restlessjo says:

You did it! And all different and interesting. Sad about the building but people are more important.

Yea I did it in the end.

Yes, it is the people that counts and I read somewhere at least two people dead and injured dozens in the northern part of the Philippines. Thanks for your comment Jo!

10. Sad to hear about the world heritage site damage in the earthquake. Thanks for the photos.

Yes, it is sad. There are lots of rubble from the structures.

11. The second photo was fun, Teresa! So sad to hear about the earthquake and the collapse of the heritage site.

Definitely so much fun, Miriam! It was so sad to hear about the heritage sites on the news as well! Thanks for your comment ❤️

1. It’s sad to hear news like that, Teresa. 😍

12. Leya says:

Love your choices, but pity about the building being damaged. The storm shot is my favourite.

Glad you liked the storm shot, Ann-Christine. I got drenched and shoes got all muddy with that shot 👍 While taking care that my camera did not get wet!

1. Leya says:

Well done!

13. Tina Schell says:

The best images evoke strong memories Teresa, and these surely do. Terrific choices although I must admit I’m not sure I’d have been brave enough to be out shooting as the storm built in strength!

Thanks Tina. Haha could not help myself⛈

14. Prior... says:

I like how you went for the “never occur again” theme for the photos
    Sad about the last one and the damage
    And you are right it is hard to jump high but that “money shot” photo looks like everyone got some air!
    Very nice

Glad you liked it. I was much younger when I did that jump though… don’t think i can still do it now.

1. Prior... says:

Well because you already did it – maybe no need to do it anymore – hahaha
        Have a great day Teresa

You too 👍

15. All amazing photos, along with the memories! What a shame that beautiful old building has been destroyed.

Just quite not sure how much the damage was. Hopefully not that bad! Thanks for the comment.

16. Great, really remarkable shots.

Thanks so much!

17. Ju-Lyn says:

Three such diverse memories & captures!

1) I can almost feel the power of the coming storm – you have captured the whipping wind and the ominous ambience so effectively.

2) Such fun! and I can only imagine how challenging it is to catch all of you in the air!!!

3) Just as well you got an image before the collapse, which makes captures like yours so precious and important for the preservation of heritage.

Thanks Ju-Lyn for your wonderful comment. I don’t know why this went to spam…just glad I was able to retrieve it even though late.

1. Ju-Lyn says:

WordPress does some strange things … I have found comments hidden before in all sorts of places … I am glad you were able to see mine eventually!