A Walk in the River Gum Creek

“The sun does not shine for a few trees and flowers, but the wide world’s joy.”– Henry Ward Beecher

There hasn’t been rain but there wasn’t sunshine as well for the past couple of days here in Melbourne. So when I saw the sun when I woke up this morning, I excitedly went out for a walk. Passing through trees, a playground and a gazebo.

Some spring flowers.

Took a turn and walked over a bridge…

Saw this wooden public art with a plaque at the back which says “I am Nat, a native Water Rat”.

Walking past a line of white spring Cherry Blossoms that is just now starting to bloom

Crossed the street and reached the River Gum Creek Reserve with a signage that has been vandalized.

Another set of wooden art.

And through the trail… but being very careful because snakes are common in wetlands

Sat down and did some sketching and relaxed for a bit until a dog jumped on me. Oh dear… all my water container toppled over and in an instant my jeans were full of mud. I wasn’t afraid or anything, I just got surprised. Anyway the owner was very apologetic… saying that if it helps, the bulldog is just a puppy so it is very playful!

But soon enough, I had to walk back home since I was all wet and dirty.

Before crossing the main road is this round Aboriginal art piece. I have seen this before but haven’t really read what it is all about. Here is the meaning if you are interested.

This is the Medicine Wheel – “Walk the Medicine Wheel and learn about the Seasons of Life through Aboriginal Totem animals. – through education comes understanding, through understanding comes unity.

1. restlessjo says:

Your painting is lovely, Teresa! Or was, until the pup arrived 🤣💗 Interesting art piece. It’s amazing what you can walk past without really ‘seeing’. Have a good week!

Haha my sketch is still ok…just my pants. But the puppy is already as big as myself 😂😂😂

Yes the Aboriginal art is interesting. I think I have to really inspect it more.

You too have a good week Jo!

2. Toonsarah says:

Sounds like you had a super walk until the dog spoiled it! Your painting looks wonderful, you should share more of your art here 😃

Thanks Sarah, glad you liked it. If you are interested I have my sketching blog
      https://whereigowithmysketchbook.wordpress.com Anyway, I also have my Instagram which is more up to date.

Have a great day my friend ❤️

1. Toonsarah says:

Oh yes, I can see loads of lovely sketches there! Rather than add another to the long list of blogs I follow I’d like to follow you on Instagram but the link on that blog didn’t work?

I don’t know but if you have instagram maybe just write @teresa_sketches I am not sure how to put a link.

1. Toonsarah says:

That worked, but anyway you found me first 🙂

Haha yes I did 👍

Looks like a beautiful day in Melbourne Teresa, sounds like one of my dogs!

Yes it seems wonderful for a few days!

4. Thanks for the great photos and the medicine wheel link. Seems parallel to the hero’s journey.

It’s interesting 👍 Thanks Rebecca.

5. Cee Neuner says:

I love your spring flowers for the day. I also really like your walking bridge perspective 😀

Thanks so much Cee ❤️

6. Marsha says:

What a fun walk, Teresa. I agree with Jo and Sarah about your painting. You are quite talented. I had to laugh at your dog story. What a shock that must have been. You found some very unique public art. I’m glad no one has defaced the art. It must be pretty old – maybe not the mosaic but the wooden art probably is. Thanks for linking to PPAC.