In search of Frankston’s giant canvases

“As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.” ~ Rumi

Frankston is known for its waterfront scene but it is also now becoming the most sought after street art destination. The Big Picture Fest has been running for 5 years now and Frankston has been the playground for local and international mural artists since then.

Last weekend, the sun was out so I prodded Jack to go and search for these giant painted canvases with me. Just quite not sure which ones are new or which ones has been there from previous years.

We parked our car on the 3-hour parking area, I am guessing that by that time we would have finished seeing all the murals

So the walking begins

Started with the murals on the facade of the Frankston Library.

Please click on image to enlarge.

Between Braap and Hoyts Cinema in Park Lane, Frankston

A Smug Mural which I am sure has been there since before but it would be nice to feature it again.

On the back wall of some buildings, this mural looks so graceful and it took me by surprise.

On the narrow Wells Lane

Just off Wells Lane is Thompson Lane with all of these giant murals.

Enjoyed viewing the mural , not knowing that my hubby was talking a photo with me on it.

Stiebel Place

From Stiebel Place we continued walking to Gallery Lane. The sun and shadow is so strong that I can’t seem to capture the image well.

As you can guess by it’s name the Gallery Lane has the most murals in the area.

Going up the ramp to the Wilson’s Car Park

And on the second level of the car park is this view of the murals down below.

Going on to the main road is this public art near the Frankston train station.

About 3 minutes walk is this Flower Girl Mural by Melbourne Murals.

Next and last location to visit was Plaza Lane with these murals right beside each other.

I haven’t seen all of the murals in the 2 and a half hours that we were walking (less the ice cream break and the toilet breaks) but we were tired already so that’s it for us. Maybe next time we can search for those that we missed.

1. bushboy says:

Fabulous street art 🙂

Thanks Brian. They are all amazing!

2. restlessjo says:

Good grief-loads, Teresa! I like the Alice ones best but they’re all great. Thanks for sharing!

Haha sorry if I loaded you with it… but that was my walk last weekend 🙃 But that wasn’t even all of it! 🤪

3. How original is the mural at the library – love it! Wow, there are so many murals to look at … some of them really stunning (like the lion) and it’s great that children gets involved too (those that were painted by the primary and secondary school kids). This walk looks like it deserved more than just one ice-cream 🍦🍦!

Haha you’re funny with the ice cream! Thanks for stopping by! ❤️

4. Toonsarah says:

Oh gosh, how to pick a favourite or two from this huge selection?! I do love the Alice-inspired ones and Mary Jayne, the Flower Girl and the pink Adnate mural – but perhaps I’ll pick the Great Egret as my number one favourite!

Glad you liked them as much as I did. They usually don’t paint over the murals in this area so it just adds up year after year so it is nice to see.

5. Marsha says:

Like everyone else, it’s impossible for me to pick a favorite. They all took a second look. I do love what the library has done, including the stack of books. Frankston is such a fascinating place. I think all the murals have a romantic storybook kind of vibe that is appealing to all ages. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Thanks Marsha. There are some graffitis in the mix but that is for some other time 😂😂😂

1. Marsha says:

It’s always good to have something in your back pocket for later. 🙂

So true! Thanks Marsha❤️

All so brilliant Teresa, what finds! I can imagine you would be so tired after looking at these

Yes I was tired after all the walking. But a bit of ice cream helped. Have a great day Ali!

Thanks Teresa 😊

7. Eunice says:

Wow! These are so stunning they surpass many of my (excellent) Manchester finds and it’s impossible to choose a favourite 🙂

Thanks Eunice…they each have their own high points 👍